Friday, May 29, 2009

More training!

I think I am going to start going to bed a lot earlier, and start my day a lot earlier. Today I got started about 7 ish this morning. I finished with the horses about 1:30. It was pretty hot when I finished in the round pen. Then it was off to Rockers (Diaz's old house) to help get the pasture up and running. We are using there pasture again this year.

I did not start a new colt today instead I went back to working with Jet. I put 2 inner tubes on the hitching post and tied him to the tubes. So when he pulled back, it did not take him long to give in and stop pulling. It is amazing how fast he learned. When I took him off the hitching post, he lead like an old pro. In fact I took him for a walk and as Jim put it "I wasn't sure who was leading who. " I know the distance we walked was only down to the old Diaz pasture, but how far we walked is very different. Jet kept trying to race on without me. So we did a LOT of circles to slow him down. Then we came back and he learned to drink out of a hose. And I spent time teaching him that water on his body is not all that bad. After that Mikaela got in on the action and we worked with Sunday Surprise.

Tonight after it cools down we are off to the Cemetery to take dead flowers of the graves and prepare for mowing tomorrow. After, maybe before mowing we need to go get a ton of hay, and hopefully some straw bales. I am growing part of my garden in the straw bales. I want to get some more and plant strawberries in them. The idea of planting off the ground is really appealing to me.

I suppose there are those who may think that I am nuts, planting a garden in straw bales. Well here is my proof.














I am still planting in barrels. I will be planting mostly root crops and herbs in the barrels. In fact my radishes are already up. The herbs, I cheated and bought them. We are then putting some tomatoes and cucmbers in buckets (out the sides) and hanging them up. As you can see I planted cucumbers in my straw bales. They will grow up the trellis and then I am putting heavy duty magnets on the conex box to give the vines something to cling to. We will see how that goes.














I am so excited with summer finally arriving. This summer I am outside!!!!

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I am loving how much you are blogging!!!!!!!! Keep it up!! Wonderful gardening too. :-)